Tuna Poppers Recipe
Check out Tuna Poppers! These fun little tuna bites are perfect for a party. This basic recipe with lots of room for you to add your flair, have fun and go wild!
- 2 – 6 oz Cans Merino’s Tuna any flavor Do Not drain the liquid
- 2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk lightly beaten
- ¾ cup bread crumbs divided ½ cup & ¼ cup portions
- 1 tablespoon Onion Powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt divided ½ teaspoon & ¼ teaspoon
- ¾ teaspoon ground pepper divided ½ teaspoon & ¼ teaspoon
- 2 – 3 cups oil for frying use a high temperature oil such as canola or peanut oil
- Open the tuna cans – Do Not drain the tuna.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine the tuna and liquid, eggs, onion powder, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, and ½ cup of bread crumbs.
- Using a fork, stir the mixture breaking up the tuna chunks until ingredients are well combined and tuna is well broken up and blended. Cover the mixture and refrigerate for 20 minutes or up to 16 hours if making ahead.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pot, heat 3 cups of oil to 360℉ or use a deep fryer set to 360℉ following the manufactures recommendations for the type and amount of oil.
- In a medium bowl, mix the remaining bread crumbs, salt, and pepper.
- Form the tuna mixture into ¾ ounce balls (about 2 tablespoons) then roll them in the bread crumb mixture.
- Working in batches, carefully place the formed tuna poppers into the hot oil turning once during cooking to brown on both sides. Fry tuna poppers until they are golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 145℉ (about 2 – 3 minutes).
- Using a spider or a fry basket carefully remove the tuna bites from the oil and drain on paper towels. Serve hot.